A WRITER'S BLOCK


UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Gennita Low's Writing Muse needs a voice now and then to remind Gennita about her love for writing and her battle with words. It's a dark world illuminated by the glow of creation. The Muse is that light. Sometimes she sleeps. Sometimes she's ferocious. Often she patiently waits. Pst. Never ignore her. Feed the Muse or else.

Friday, August 24, 2007

Writing Demons

Today I found a very appropriate picture and I named it Writing Demons:


Which is your demon hanging onto you, Writer?

1) Doubt
2) Procrastination
3) Fear
4) Daily Chores (yes, bills, included)
5) Family
6) FEAR (there is a capital-lettered one different from #3)
7) Blockage
8) Over-Analysis
9) Bloatedness
10) False Friends
11) Dependence
12) Critics and Fear of Criticism
13) Desire, or lack of
14) Dreams and Fantasies
15) Weak Will

There are more, but let's stop here before you scare yourself too much. Or maybe, you can tell me what is it exactly that's freezing your brain these days? I am a good listener.

2 comments:

DBD said...

I call it "performance anxiexty". When I am away from the computer or pen and paper, my story soars through my head. But . . . as soon I get near these tools, I freeze. The words stop, the voice is silent and the evil doubt of ability, talent, stick-to-it-ness closes in on me as if I'm in solitary confinement. I've tried taping myself while I drive, but as soon as I turn the tape on, I get self-conscious.

I have 200 pages of a book and everytime I try to work on it I fail and I have no real excuse. I have no children and I have a wonderful DH would wants me to sit my butt down and just do it. He wants me to do if for me because he knows I can. I would like to suck that confidence right out of him and swallow it in a cocktail.

Okay, I didn't realize how that last part would read/sound when I wrote it, but that's the way I feel.

Deb

Anonymous said...

Deborah,

Confidence starts with one page a day. Try it. One page. You already have 200 pages, so that tells me you have the capability to write 200 more. Sometimes, the Muse can use the voice of a husband. We Muses have to be innovative! Let your husband's encouragement be that cocktail. Okay, I'll groan along--suck it down, girl!